Monday, September 14, 2009

sugar + butter + hard work =

My newest addicting and time consuming hobby....cake decorating!! For those of you who know me, you know I've always loved playing in the kitchen-- I even once had dreams of owning my own bakery or becoming a chef in a high class restaurant. For now those dreams have been replaced with nursing and just decorating cakes for my friends and family. For the last year I've Googled, You Tubed and read all about cake decorating plus I've done lots of practicing. Soon, very soon, I plan to take a class (probably at Hobby Lobby) so I'll know a little bit more about the techniques but for now I'm having a blast learning/practicing (and I've put on a few "taste tester pounds" to prove it!!) Here are my finished products:

My first big cake: Halloween 2008




Susan and Jeff's Bridal Shower



Bennett's Baptism



Auburn vs Alabama Game 2008




Bennett's 1st Birthday




Jason's Birthday



Katie Caroline's Birthday
(My first three tiered cake!!)




I was just learning how to make roses here....so this cake was a "no occasion" cake. No worries, it didn't go to waste! :)




Granddaddy's Birthday




Ann Marie's Birthday



Caden's Birthday
(He's loving dolphins these days)




Shelley's Birthday
(This was my first try at marshmallow fondant. It was a chore but I'm sure it will get easier with more practice!)



Beka's Birthday
(We celebrated with a mini cake since there were dieters in the house-ha!)



Mr. Bill's Birthday
(The writing on this one is Baker's chocolate---I liked the end result)

9 comments:

  1. So can I come to you for a b-day cake for Lila?! These look great Natalie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are AWESOME! You are doing a wonderul job. I had assumed you had already taken classes! :) And, by the way, I've been meaning to say "congrats" on the new guy! Please, tell us more about him! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't forget you said yes :) I'll be in touch! Looks like life is good ... so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the birthday cake. Karlee's 2nd b'day is in January and I'm in planning mode already. Can you make a teddy bear?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, Just let me know what kind of cake you want and when!! :) Can't believe how fast Lila is growing, I love keeping up with y'all on here!

    Allyson, I think I could do teddy bear...I love to try new things!! I will go ahead a start to practice now :) Just let me know what day in January you need it. So glad that I have the blog world to keep up with y'all!! :)

    I'll post new pictures soon...Chris's birthday and Bennett's 2nd are just around the corner so there will be new cakes to show!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great!!! I absolutely love the one for Shelley :) How much longer does she have anyway until #2 gets here?

    If we were still in town I would definitely get you to make our cakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so Good! You Are so good at that!-Joy:)

    ReplyDelete