"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have!"
For as long as I can remember I have been looking forward to my future. Always the planner; always excited about what was to come. Whether it was moving from the JV to Varsity cheerleader squad, moving out of the dorm into my first apartment at Auburn, or graduating from nursing school to start my first nursing job, I anticipated what was coming so much that I didn't even realize what was happening in the "here and now." And those are just a few examples of the many times I have skipped out on joy because of my impatient attitude and discontentment. So now that I am pointing out the error my ways you must think that means this is something I have beaten, conquered, and over come----WRONG! This is a feeling I continually battle. Just this morning I woke up to a big ole' party....a pity party that is! All I could think of were the things in my life that I was waiting to change, as if this were some brief, unimportant, temporary phase. And for a moment I thought that I couldn't be happy or settled until this "temporary phase" was over. Oh boy, how many times must I learn this lesson??!! God wants me to embrace this time...live in it and soak it up. He wants me to grow in Him and trust in His timing. Right where I am is where He wants me to be. After a good long chat with my mom (an incredible woman--if you've never met her) I realized that I have to choose to see the blessings in my life and understand that if I am always looking toward what is coming I might miss out on what is happening right now!! I started thinking about all the blessing I currently have in life. I was a little overwhelmed! I remembered back to the times before where I have been too anxious to enjoy the present. I found some pictures of me as a JV cheerleader, as a freshman at Auburn living in the dorm, and as a nursing student trying to make the grades. I realized these were fun, happy times of my life that I almost missed out on cause I was too busying paying attention to what was just around the corner. My challenge this week, this month, or even this year is going to be to embrace the stage of my life that I am currently in with sweet satisfaction, knowing that there is a season and time for everything in life and God's timing is best!
Enjoy these pictures....they are blasts from the past:
Me, Katie Caroline, and Shelley. I was a JV cheerleader and Shelley was on Varsity. KC loved to wear her Auburn cheerleader outfit to the games and cheer along! :)
Me with my roommate, Lauren, in our dorm room in Sasnett Hall.
Me with some friends from first semester of nursing school. We had a fun day at the pool after we took our final exams!!
Girl, you are SO right! I definitely needed to hear that b/c I suffer from wanting SO much in the future that I don't concentrate on what's going on right now and taking the time to enjoy what God is blessing me with. I would love to get together sometime!
ReplyDelete